The Hobbit: The Bilbo Edition 2.0 (Extended Edition)
4.5 Hour Fan-Adaptation of the Peter Jackson Hobbit Trilogy
After nearly ten months of development, neurotic levels of attention to detail and hundreds of hours editing, reading and critiquing, I can confidently say that the final cut of The Hobbit: The Bilbo Edition – Extended Edition is complete and ready for download.
My original post explaining the overall backstory of this project and my initial cuts can be found here. I encourage you to read that post in full if you haven’t already, as the rest of this post will be scarce in detail about the initial 1.0 Version. The final edit now comes with 20 minutes of additional extended footage, some changing the film dramatically. Major changes of The Bilbo Edition 2.0 include
- A new introduction to Azog the Defiler
- New Rivendell scenes
- The escape from Goblin Town has been streamlined more thoroughly
- A radically different introduction to Beorn, faithful to the source material
- Deleted footage of the Battle of Five Armies, dramatically changing the context of some scenes while adding exciting new sequences altogether
- Thorin, Fili and Kili’s funeral scene, which still baffles me as to why it was cut from the original film
Not only is the final cut of The Bilbo Edition available for direct download, but can also be streamed in 15 parts with complementary commentary and analysis regarding the source material’s transition from book to film, both in the original Jackson films and regarding my adaptation’s creative take. I have also taken the liberty in reviewing a few competing fan cuts – all of the different fan cuts have a different creative vision and different folks will prefer different fan adaptations. I argue here which of the films I think are the best and what makes them distinctive from alternative options.
The final product is a Blu-Ray quality, widescreen, 8 gigabyte film running at approximately 4.5 hours, accounting for extended edition footage and the lengthy untouched credit sequence. This was a labor of love and I hope that Tolkien fans will appreciate the passion and attention to detail that went into this endeavor.
I had three goals in mind for this fan adaptation:
- Streamline the bulky 8+ hour trilogy into a single, coherent, narratively rich story that is both faithful to the essence of the source material while still maintaining the best of Peter Jackson’s original contributions and deviations
- Maintain suspense and tension in iconic scenes and allow for the remarkable acting of all actors involved, particularly Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen, to shine. Bilbo is the heart and soul of the story and unlike the original trilogy that dodges around him, he remains front and center as the audience surrogate and the thematically rich protagonist at the core of the story.
- Provide the best possible fan-adaptation that can satisfy both lovers of the original films and lovers of the source material. Although there are other fan-edits that excel in different areas (check out the 2-Hour Fan Cut by Fiona van Dahl!), I truly believe my film is narratively the superior choice amongst the “long-form” fan-adaptations.
The final version of the fan-adaptation can be downloaded through the below torrent links, which can be opened by a free Torrent program such as uTorrent.
Edit: As of October 29th, 2016, TBE-EE is now available through direct download without the need for torrents! Enjoy! 🙂
15-Part Breakdown of The Hobbit – The Bilbo Edition
Note as of Sep. 4, 2016 – All streaming video segments are unavailable until further notice due to video hosting and copyright complications. The full film is still 100% available for download, however, and time stamps will be provided in place of the streaming videos so the below links can still correspond with their respective segments.
Part I. An Unexpected Journey / Chapter I. An Unexpected Party / 00:00:00 — 00:28:16
Part II. Trouble with Trolls / Chapter II. Roast Mutton / 00:28:16 — 00:56:49
Part III. Rivendell / Chapter III. A Short Rest / 56:49 — 01:09:33
Part IV. The Misty Mountains / Chapter IV. Over Hill and Under Hill / 01:09:33 — 01:23:27
Part V. Rings and Riddles / Chapter V. Riddles in the Dark / 01:23:27 — 01:42:07
Part VI. Wargs and Wind / Chapter VI. Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire / 01:42:07 — 01:50:17
Part VII. The Skinchanger / Chapter VII. Queer Lodgings / 01:50:17 — 02:03:35
Part VIII. Mirkwood / Chapter VIII. Flies and Spider [and] Chapter IX. Barrels out of Bond / 02:03:35 — 02:24:15
Part IX. Lake Town / Chapter X. A Warm Welcome / 02:24:15 — 02:38:43
Part X. The Desolation of Smaug / Chapter XI. On the Doorstep / 02:38:43 — 02:47:52
Part XI. Smaug the Stupendous / Chapter XII. Inside Information [and] Chapter XIV. Fire and Water / 02:47:52 — 03:10:20
Part XII. Dragon Sickness / Chapter XIII. Not at Home [and] Chapter XIV. Fire and Water [and] Chapter XV. The Gathering of the Clouds / 03:10:20 — 03:36:39
Part XIII. The Battle of Five Armies / Chapter XVI. A Thief in the Night [and] XVII. The Clouds Burst 03:36:39 — 03:52:00
Part XIV. The King Under the Mountain / Chapter XVII. The Clouds Burst [and] Chapter XVIII. The Home Journey / 03:52:00 — 04:16:27
Part XV. There and Back Again / Chapter XIX. The Last Stage / 04:16:27 –04:37:54
All footage is property of Warner Bros. Entertainment
Thank you to everyone who has supported this project and given constructive and positive feedback. This is my gift to the Tolkien community and I seek no financial gain from this project.